Home > Codes and Standards

Box Top Glow

Codes and Standards

The Codes and Standards Section of the Office of the Fire Commissioner has dedicated its' efforts to the effective code and standards administration and enforcement of the Manitoba Building, Plumbing, Energy and Fire Codes to the citizens of Manitoba. These efforts are achieved through consultation, plans examination, inspections and the issuance of permits.

Fire Safety and all associated Prevention methods are a sure way to reduce both fire and human loss in Manitoba. The Fire Inspection section works collaboratively with Municipal Government, local Fire Service Officials and other allied agencies to ensure that a satisfactory degree of Life Safety is maintained. Working under the Fires Prevention and Emergency Response Act and associated Regulations, both Municipal Authorities and the OFC share the responsibility of Fire and Life Safety in our Province.

The Office of the Fire Commissioner – Codes and Standards Section is the Manitoba Government agency responsible for:

  1. Developing new and amending existing Manitoba Building, Plumbing, Energy and Fire Code requirements;
  2. Examining building plans for code compliance;
  3. Issuing building, plumbing and occupancy permits;
  4. Inspecting buildings, mobile homes, and recreational vehicles;
  5. Farm Building permits and inspections;
  6. Construction Camp permits and inspections;
  7. Providing support to the Manitoba Building Standards Board;
  8. Building permits and inspections;
  9. Plumbing permits and inspections; and
  10. Fire inspections.

The Codes and Standards section has 3 offices. They are located in Winnipeg, Brandon, and Dauphin. To contact an Office of the Fire Commissioner Codes and Standards Officer or Fire Inspector for questions regarding Manitoba Building, Plumbing, Energy, Farm Building and Fire Code requirements, plans examination, building and occupancy permits, mobile homes & RV's, plumbing permits and/or, fire inspections call 204-945-3322 in Winnipeg or 204-726-6855 in Brandon. Our toll free number for the Winnipeg Office is 1-800-282-8069 and for the Brandon Office is 1-888-253-1488. Inspectors at the Dauphin Office can be contacted at 204-648-7413 for Building code matters and 204-638-2693 for Fire Code matters.

24 HOUR - Office of the Fire Commissioner Emergency Response - Please contact your local municipal authority