Home > Codes and Standards > Permits, Forms and Applications

Box Top Glow

Codes and Standards

Building, Plumbing Occupancy Permits

In Manitoba, Building, Plumbing and Occupancy Permits are issued by one of 3 Authorities Having Jurisdiction in Manitoba:

  • Municipality
  • Planning District
  • Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC)

The Authority Having Jurisdiction is determined by the geographic location of the building in Manitoba and whether the building must comply with Part 9 or Part 3 of the National Building Code of Canada. Building and/or Plumbing Permits are required for new construction of all buildings, with the exception of farm buildings. Effective November 1, 2010, The OFC is the authority having jurisdiction for all farm buildings having an area greater than 600m2. All building permits for those farm buildings greater than 600m2 will be issued by the OFC under Manitoba Regulation 5/2017.

Building and/or Plumbing Permits are also required for building additions, alterations and renovations. Most municipal building by-laws do not normally require a Building Permit for renovations that do not exceed $5,000.00 construction value provided there is "no structural or life safety changes" to the building. To be sure of the requirements for a Building Permit contact your local building department, also known as an Authority Having Jurisdiction.

Occupancy Permits are required prior to occupancy of any newly constructed, renovated or repaired building where a building permit has been issued. Occupancy permits are not required for the construction, renovation or repair of a one-or two-family dwelling unit.

To determine who the Authority Having Jurisdiction is for your building project, click here.

If the Authority Having Jurisdiction for your project is the Office of the Fire Commissioner, please note that the “Municipal Authorization” section of your Building Permit Application must be completed prior to the OFC processing your permit. This will greatly reduce delays in processing permits.

Please obtain your permit application from your local building department. If the OFC is the Authority Having Jurisdiction and you require a permit application from the Office of the Fire Commissioner please contact us or print now:

Print a copy of the Building Permit Guide which outlines the information required when applying for a Building Permit.

Letters of Assurance and Certification

The Letter of Assurance and Certification forms are used by Professional Engineers (P. Eng) to certify their building design meets the Manitoba Building, Plumbing, Fire and Electrical Codes and that the work and all related inspections are complete. By signing and sealing these form, the Professional Engineers attest to the fact that they have completed inspections of the work as they deem necessary and proves their competency in the appropriate professional and technical disciplines to do the work.

Alternative Solutions

Please note that registered Professionals may use the prescriptive requirements of the Manitoba codes (Building, Plumbing, Manitoba Energy Code for Buildings and Fire) or submit an Alternative Solution  to satisfy code requirements. The proposed Alternative Solution will be reviewed and must be approved by engineering staff at the OFC. For more information on the OFC’s Alternative Solution process please click here - OFC-18-001 Alternate Solutions.

Registered professionals may use the following form when submitting a request for an Alternative Solution:

Manitoba Energy Code for Buildings

Please note that as of  December 1, 2014, the 2011 National Energy Code for Buildings became effective in Manitoba via provincial Regulation213/2013.  It is known as the Manitoba Energy Code for Buildings (MECB).

A MECB coordinating registered professional is now required and will ensure the following:

  • Ascertain which disciplines relating to the MECB are required and which registered professionals , must be retained;
  • Ensure the design requirements are coordinated between the registered professionals and comply with the applicable provisions of the MECB;
  • Complete a Letter of Assurance and a Letter of Certification.  In cases of a base building application, an additional Letter of Certification will be required for each initial tenant improvement.

The Letters of Assurance and Certification have been revised to reflect the adoption of the MECB and it is the responsibility of the registered professionals to ensure that drawings and construction (via field reviews) comply with the MECB.

For more information (Read bulletin - OFC 14-006) - Manitoba Energy Code for Buildings
Forms for Registered Professionals

Forms for Coordinating Registered Professionals

Permit Fees

  • Building Permit: Varies by building type, size and value
  • Plumbing Permit: Varies by building type (min. $60.00)
  • Occupancy Permit: $50.00

For Building Permit fees, value means the value of all construction work, including the value of all renovation and repair work, as stipulated in the contract price for the total project.
If for any reason a permit is not obtained before the commencement of the work for which a permit is required, the fee for a permit is twice the amount prescribed in the Building Fees Regulation.


Fee Calculator


For a complete list of fees see the Building Fees Regulation 211/2002 and Manitoba Regulation (amendment) 98/2018.

For more information call 204-945-3322 in Winnipeg, 204-726-6855 in Brandon or toll free 1-800-282-8069, or e-mail firecomm@gov.mb.ca.